[FoRK] All The Rope II: Noose of Words

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Wed Mar 17 16:57:43 PST 2004

I have no idea what Owen's comment means.  But the special department's
charter was to sell the war.   Second, there was an abundance of evidence that
large amounts of WMDs were missing.   Far more than evidence to the
contrary.  As I mentioned to Jeff, you only need one counter-example
to disprove something, but you need complete coverage to prove it.
Proving there was no imminent threat was a near impossiblity due to
the active counter-inspection activities of the Iraqi government as well
documented by Powell's speech to the UN.   In the absence of
any provable answer, you go with the best possible intelligence.
There was very little difference between the OSP and traditonal
intel agencies--running 70-30 instead of OSP's 99-1.  The absence
of 100% proof doesn't mean the opposite is true.

The imminent threat was the intelligence that a nuclear
incident was imminent on US soil within the next decade.
Given Iraq previously had an active nuclear program,
intel reports warning of 9-11  weren't taken as seriously as
they should have, and the US public twice wanted
regime change in Iraq as approved by the US congress, don't you think
erring on the side of caution.  It sounds like a pretty good
policy to me.

Greg