[FoRK] All The Rope II: Noose of Words

Ian Andrew Bell fork at ianbell.com
Wed Mar 17 19:30:14 PST 2004

On 17-Mar-04, at 11:14 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> 2) Albright said that there was no doubt that Iraq had WMD before the
> invasion
>     and that we only knew the intel was wrong after the invasion

Well clearly there should have been doubt, given that there are none,
or these people should be fired for incompetence.  The phrases used
were specific:

"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad
and east, west, south and north somewhat."

This is not the wishy-washy sort of language you'd hear from other
administrations.  The appropriate way to have phrased this was "we
believe that there are WMDs somewhere around Tikrit and Baghdad."  But
"We believe..."  is a far cry from "We know..." and "We believe..."
makes it hard to build consensus around something so grandiose as going
to war.  Whether or not the Bushists believed there were WMDs they lied
about their degree of confidence.  Clearly they did not have
photographic evidence, chemical samples, or other proof.  They were
listening to exiles and spies and this is, in case you were wondering,
highly controvertible.

> 3) Your hypocrisy is that when Bush I, and Clinton stated Iraq had
>      WMD and that there should be regime change in Iraq, you only
>      claim Bush II is lying even though he's saying the same exact
> thing.

Clinton didn't say that there "Definitely were.." WMDs in Iraq.  He
believed there were.  He also clearly did not have enough confidence in
the incoming data to, oh let's say, spend Hundreds of Billions of
dollars and put millions of lives on the line to contend with that
suspicion.  Even Bush The Elder had the sense not to try to take on the
entire nation of Iraq in a crusade against WMD... and he was definitely
correct that they existed under his reign.  They were used on Kurdish
rebels while he had forces in theatre and he did nothing to stop them!

Yeah, Clinton called for regime change in Iraq.  So?  I'm calling for
regime change in America, but I'm not going to bankrupt Canada to make
it happen.  Bush is bankrupting America both to force regime change in
Iraq AND to preserve his own regime in the next pseudo-election.

-Ian.

   www.geekmail.com
   detox your inbox.