[FoRK] All The Rope II: Noose of Words

Ian Andrew Bell fork at ianbell.com
Wed Mar 17 19:52:33 PST 2004

That may be true, Greg.  In 20 years we may look back on America's
invasion of Iraq and realize that, since it allowed the Saudis to
assert complete control over Iraq's oil supply and meter more stable
growth in pricing for the world's oil, affording the Bush family and
Halliburton investors greater wealth than could be conceived of.  We
could look back and say that these back-room dealings were somehow
beneficial to humanity, or at least to the United States.

But the small predicament Bush finds himself in is that he is the
elected [sic] leader of a Democracy.  And as such, he does not have the
constitutional right to declare war and go off appropriating funds to
do crazy stuff like invade people.  This is why there is a congress and
a senate.  So (and I hope you're following me here) sometimes The Right
Thing is hard to convince people of, either because it's an unpopular
idea or because it's a long-term vision with short-term drawbacks.

Let's argue for a second that it is better to burn hydrogen than fossil
fuels.  We all know that.  I'm the President and the hydrogen guys have
convinced me that there's going to be no more oil to burn in 15 years
so we HAVE to ween the country off of oil.  This is a bitter pill to
swallow, but the Hydrogen guys also tell me that it turns out that Oil
is the cause of 80% of cancers in America, according to their research.
  I realize as the President that OIL is killing hundreds of thousands
of people yearly and I must act to stop it, plus I know that in the
long term we'll all benefit.

So as President I go to the press, to the UN, to everyone who will
listen and declare that OIL is the scourge of America and we must
embark on a program to discontinue its consumption entirely.  It will
cost hundreds of billions of dollars to eliminate OIL and replace it
with other fuels but we must do it because it is the cause of every
cancer in America.  I build consensus and the country endures great
suffering, world markets enter chaos, and the country is in a prolonged
recession.  But at the end of it, oil is gone and we're all better for
it.

Okay, so...

1)  I am the hero of my generation.  I rid the country of oil, which is
really bad for lots of reasons, and now we're all zipping around in
hydrogen cars and greenhouse gases are all but gone.

2)  I placed the nation in jeopardy for my cause.  The effort was
painful and hurt the country badly in the global competitive arena.
The dollar has shrunk and growth is slow.

3)  I lied.  I saw what I wanted to see, I embellished the story to
suit my goals, and I lied.  Hero or not, I should be impeached, fined,
jailed, whatever.  Though my intentions were noble I spat upon the
Constitution.

BUSH II may have been right to go to Iraq (I don't personally think
so).  The point is he lied to get Americans on board with the war.  HE
LIED, and others in his non-elected cabinet were instructed to do so as
well.  He is an elected official and should be held accountable.

-Ian.

On 17-Mar-04, at 1:35 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> I think the issue has to be precise.  Lying about what exactly?  The
> lying
> charge can be made that the Bush administration lied about the reasons
> why they went to war in Iraq.   I personally think they did the right
> thing for the wrong reasons.

   www.geekmail.com
   detox your inbox.