[FoRK] Slow grep

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 18 12:57:36 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:14:03PM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:

> In fairness, they're just biting the UTF-8 bullet.  Same issue would apply
> on any other linux distro once you've typed "export LANG=en_US.utf-8".

I've got bitten by this yesterday, when trying to debug a Perl-only MD5 hash
version. After suspecting chop/chomp madness I figured it was an Unicode
issue.

> An equally valid workaround for english speakers is simply to set
> locale to "C" and pretend there's no non-ASCII charsets out there ;)

IIRC, 7-bit ASCII goes back to 5-hole perforated paper tapes (and these
harken back to Morse). Bits having been expensive back then, the designers
aren't really to blame (though they'd be able to avert most mayhem by
having used 8-bit extensions).

The bad shit starts when today's jackasses try to "fix" these broken
standards. Instead of transcribing these funny characters, they chose to
extend the set, use alternate keyboard layouts, etc.

Do we really need to be able to use host names with umlauts, or spell them in
Klingon, or Urdu? It would have a point, if it wasn't such a giant can of
worms.

> (having said all that, due to other issues with RH's distros, I've
> switched to Debian and haven't regretted it for one moment.  Plus
> I get a holier-than-thou free-software bonus!)

I've been thinking about trying out the *BSD branch, particularly OpenBSD.
Server, their hardware support is pretty sketchy (the main reason I stick
with RedHat/Fedora on the desktop, Debian on the server).