[FoRK] Slow grep

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Fri Mar 19 05:46:53 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 14:18 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:36:07AM +0000, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
>
> > Explain to me how it is inherently bloated? You use English and the
>
> The methods to process Unicode. Not only more lines of code, far more
> complexity. Coding monkeys are stupid enough as is (I see it demonstrated to
> me vividly every single day, I'm not longer surprised at anything), having to deal with
> Unicode makes them jump through even more hoops, and dropping the bananas
> they've been juggling. Man, monkeys *hate* that.

This is only true if they are dealing with systems which are 'mixed' or
have lousy APIs. GNOME+ any UTF-8 based system works with no problems,
both for users and developers. It's sort of cool to see all your asian
spam show up just fine in Evolution. ;)

> > No, they don't all speak English.
>
> It is the main traffic language. The lingua franca. The whole point of a
> lingua franka is to be the reference unit. So that you don't have to deal
> with each explicit conversion case.

This is plenty true in technical situations, but it turns out there are
5-6 billion non-technical people out there, only a small fraction of
whom speak English. I want my software (particularly my free software,
which claims to be a right for /everyone/) to be usable by more than an
odd technical minority, thanks.

> >  > About everybody in EU speaks English
> >
> > No. Even go to the former East Germany, and that's not true. Never mind
>
> The whole point is that anyone knows that English is de facto standard
> everywhere, and that it's a basic skill on almost any resume. You can assume
> that the differences due to schooling are being nivellated as we speak.

Have you ever actually spoken to English-'speakers' outside the US?

> I *could* handle plutonium. I'm pretty sure I can't handle Unicode. YMMV.

You're less intelligent than I thought you were, then.

Luis