[FoRK] Slow grep

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Fri Mar 19 05:58:30 PST 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 04:20 am, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
>  > Do we really need to be able to use host names with umlauts, or spell
>  > them in Klingon, or Urdu? It would have a point, if it wasn't such a
>  > giant can of worms.
>
> We need them in Kanji, and Han Chinese, and if we solve the issue for that,
> we get Urdu for free, architecturally.

FWIW. I can see the point in IRI and whatnot, and I still think you have to
design I18N into the system, BUT, as time goes by, I am less convinced that
fixing sendmail et al. is the best/only/right solution (and FWIW, HTML forms
are still messed up... let's fix them first, please!!!).

Most of the problems in the internet are caused by global namespaces.