[FoRK] Slow grep

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Fri Mar 19 06:14:17 PST 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 08:18 am, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> The structure of the language is not a problem (it will make you weak at
> telling R and L apart, so what), the idea is that learning some 25 glyphs
> is trivial if you've learned some >>5 k of them. The phonetic mapping idear
> ain't that hard to grok, either.

Except that human language is richer phonetically than that implies, and also
has contextual dependencies. For example, if I say "Ikura wa ikura" you have
to be able to disambiguate.... and there are far more complex cases than that
to deal with.

> Protocols are being designed, not evolved. If a protocol needs evolution,
> it implies it's a design failure.

Only in the strictest sense.... practically it is often very hard to design a
protocol that does *not* evolve.