[FoRK] Re: Distros (was: Slow grep)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Mar 19 08:12:13 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 07:46:11AM -0800, John D. Mitchell wrote:

> If you like OpenBSD then you might want to check out the Gentoo Linux

I'm interested in OpenBSD from the architecture and security design aspect.

I'm slowly switching the home network to GBit Ethernet (just got two Intel
PRO/1000 MT); haven't been able to find them in the OpenBSD supported
hardware list. Maybe haven't been looking hard enough, maybe they're yet
unsupported.

> distribution at http://www.gentoo.org/.  It builds the system/packages from
> sources and supports multi-processors.

It's great to have at all an open source *nix, but the
grown-not-designed-monolith aspect of Linux and the desktopcentric fixation
(it's be really nice to see a message-passing hard realtime nanokernel become
the core of Linux, wrapped with compatibility layers) puts me off a bit.

It's not academic, in an MPI app running on an embedded memory mesh memory is
too expensive to waste more than a few 10 kBytes of it. Blue Gene tries to go
there, but it's not there yet.