[FoRK] ECU Upgrades

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Sat Mar 20 10:47:50 PST 2004

50 Extra horsepower for $1000 just by changing the performance settings--no
chip changes at all!  Modern automotive technology is amazing.  The software
is neat too in that you can hook it up to your PC's RS232 port and come
up with your own configurations.  I wonder if it comes with a performance
simulation.  What would be really cool is if you could test out your new
configuration on the ps2 or xbox.

Greg

	 <http://engstrom.net/engstrom_500.jpg>
ENGSTROM <http://engstrom.net/index3.htm>
Home Page

SAAB SPORT SEDAN NOW AVAILABLE

 <http://engstrom.net/ppc_logo2.jpg>

What is the PPC™ TUNING SYSTEM?
PPC - Portable Program Carrier is a unique hand held tuning system developed by BSR of Sweden. The technology allows your cars ECU (Electronic Control Unit) to be reprogrammed with tuning software of your choice without any mechanical modifications. You don’t even have to pop the hood.
The PPC unit can store several programs including your car’s original settings and you select the one you want to use. To upgrade your car only takes minutes.

 <http://engstrom.net/ppc_index2.jpg>

How is the upgrade performed?
Connect the PPC™ Tuning System cable to your car’s OBD-II diagnostic connector. It is normally located somewhere on the center console inside your car. Select program with the "Menu" bottom and then press the "Enter" button. After a few minutes your new settings is loaded into the ECU. Start your car and take it for a drive. The same procedure is used to restore your car to factory settings. You can repeat this procedure as often as you like.

	Are upgrades available for my car?
PPC™ Tuning System upgrades are available for Volvo 60-70-80-90 series turbo cars year 1999 to 2004 as well as Saab Turbo models with Trionic 7 system. Shortly we will also be able to deliver PPC for Audi and VW turbo cars from 2001 to 2004 as well. See table:

VOLVO	 YEAR	 Engine	 Original	 PPC	 PPC	 PPC
 	 		HP	 HP	 Torque Nm	 Torque lb ft
S60 R AWD MT	 2004	 R	 300	 354	 493	 364
S60	  	 T5	 250	 299	 408	 301
S60	 2003-	 2.5T	 210	 252	 410	 302
S60	  	 2.4T	 200	 252	 410	 302
V70 R AWD	 2004	 R	 300	 354	 493	 364
V70N	 2001-	 T5	 250	 299	 408	 301
V70N	 2003-	 2.5T	 210	 252	 410	 302
V70N	 -2002	 2.4T	 200	 252	 410	 302
70 Series	 1999-2000	 R	 265	 310	 435	 321
70 Series	 1999-2000	 T5	 240	 299	 427	 315
70 Series	 1999-2000	 2.4T/2.5T	 193	 239	 392	 289
S80	  	 T6	 272	 321	 498	 367
S80	 2001-	 T5	 250	 299	 408	 301
S80	 -2000	 T5	 240	 299	 427	 315
S80	 2001-	 2.4T	 200	 252	 410	 302
S80	 -2000	 2.4T	 193	 239	 392	 289
XC90	  	 T6	 272	 321	 456	 336
XC90	  	 2.5T	 210	 252	 410	 302

SAAB	 YEAR	 ECU	 Original	 PPC	 PPC	 PPC
 	 		HP	 HP	 Torque Nm	 Torque lb ft
9-3 VIGGEN	 1999-	 T7	 230	 274	 424	 313
9-3	 2000-	 T7	 205	 248	 369	 272
9-3	 2000-	 T7	 185	 221	 350	 258
9-3	 2000-	 T7	 150	 221	 350	 258
9-3 SS	 2003-	 T8	 175	 204	 310	 229
9-3 SS AERO	 2003-	 T8	 210	 247	 388	 286
9-5 AERO	 2001-	 T7	 230	 274	 434	 320
9-5	 2001-	 T7	 185	 229	 338	 249
9-5	 -2000	 T7	 170	 234	 338	 249

AUDI	 YEAR	 Engine	 Original	 PPC	 PPC	 PPC
 	 		HP	 HP	 Torque Nm	 Torque lb ft
A4	 2001-	 1.8T	  	 TBA

VW	 YEAR	 Engine	 Original	 PPC	 PPC	 PPC
 	 		HP	 HP	 Torque Nm	 Torque lb ft
Golf Gti	 2001-	 1.8T	  	 TBA

When will the PPC™ Tuning System be available?
The first Volvo upgrades was released in March 2003 and Saab upgrades is now also available. Audi and VW will be released in the coming months.

Can I use my PPC unit to upgrade more than one car?
No, the PPC unit is "married" to the first car that is upgraded.

How does the PPC™ Tuning System know that it is upgrading the correct car?
Safety checks are performed to verify that the car has the expected software before the actual upgrade starts.

What do I do if the current software in my car does not match what PPC™ Tuning System expects?
When the safety check fails the system offers the ability to read your cars current settings. This information can then be transmitted to BSR by connecting the PPC™ Tuning System to an Internet connected PC. Our developers will then analyze your cars settings and create a new upgrade. This can then be loaded into the PPC™ Tuning System and installed in your car.

How does PPC communicate with my home computer?
By using standard RS232 or USB port available on most computers.

Can I use PPC if my cars ECU already have an upgrade?
Your cars ECU have to be returned to original configuration to be able to use PPC.

Can I use PPC with any ECU upgrades?
PPC can only be used with the ECU upgrades that BSR have developed for your car.

How can I access the latest version of the upgrade for my car?
If BSR develops an enhanced version of a tuning program for your car we will notify our customers via e-mail and also provide instructions on how to download this new information into the PPC™ Tuning System using a home computer with Internet connection. Enhanced versions of same "Stage" software will be provided at no charge.

Can I custom tune the upgrade myself?
No, you choose one of the upgrades BSR have developed for your car. For most car models at least 3 upgrades are available:
Stage 1: A Stage 1 ECU upgrade combined with a sport air filter insert or optionally an Opti Flow™ open-air intake.
Stage 2: A stage 2 ECU, upgraded air intake (insert or Opti Flow™) and a BSR stainless exhaust system.
Stage 3: A stage 3 ECU, upgraded air intake (insert or Opti Flow ™), BSR stainless exhaust system and 3" down pipe.

How do I order?
You order one of our best in class tuning programs and the PPC™ Tuning System unit will be delivered with your new program and you are ready to upgrade your car. You choose Stage 1, 2, or 3 depending on your needs.

What is the cost?
The PPC™ Tuning System loaded with a stage 1 ECU upgrade will cost only $995.00. Additional hardware such as our stainless sport exhaust systems and down pipe have to be added to the cost of PPC for complete Stage 2 and 3 upgrades.

What is included?
The $995.00 includes everything required to perform a Stage 1 upgrade.

Can I start with Stage 1 and later upgrade to Stage 3?
If you start with Stage 1 and later decide to go to Stage 2 or 3 we will provide an upgrade for your PPC. The upgrade charge is $195.

How do I get support?
Engstrom Motorsport will provide support you if you need assistance with the use of PPC™ Tuning System.

ENGSTROM <http://engstrom.net/index3.htm>
Home Page

This site is not affiliated with Volvo Car Corporation, Volvo Personvagnar AB, Saab Automobile AB or any
other car manufacturer and the use of their respective names and models is for descriptive purposes only.