[FoRK] It just doesn't get any clearer than this...

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Sat Mar 20 13:38:32 PST 2004

Here's the nut, Greg.  Since you didn't click through the links in the
previous conversation before trying out our your tired, unconvincing,
and previously debugged "policy" argument yet again...  The reason this
whole thing has bubbled back up (in case you weren't paying attention)
is that since about a week ago the misadministration's spinmeisters
have been trying to lay down some flak to cover for their lack of, ah,
consistency with objective fact in previous utterances.

The aggravating thing about all of this is that while assholes like
Hannity stand on the sidelines screaming "politicizing national
security, politicizing national security" --- of the Dems --- here we
have an attempt at a "united front" propaganda push on the part of the
misleaders that, indeed, "politicizes" national security (as they have
been all long) --- as demonstrated clearly below and in similar
circumstances.

--

Rumsfeld Caught Lying on "Face the Nation." (MLP)

By Kyle
Thu Mar 18th, 2004 at 10:30:25 AM EST
Politics

On CBS's "Face the Nation" on March 14, 2004, United States Secretary
of Defense Donald Rumsfeld said that he hadn't used the phrase
"immediate threat" to describe the situation in Iraq and that President
Bush hadn't either.

Thomas Friedman of CBS then presented Rumsfeld with quotes from
September 2002 where he did describe the regime of Saddam Hussein in
Iraq as an "immediate threat." Rumsfeld's response was that we may
still find that they really were an immediate threat after all.

MoveOn.org has a video available which cuts off before Rumsfeld
finishes his response.You can also read the full transcript from CBS
(PDF), or there is a partial transcript below.

Sec. Rumsfeld: Well, you're the--you and a few other critics are the
only people I've heard use the phrase `"immediate threat." I didn't.
The president didn't. And, uh, it's become kind of folklore that
that's--that's what's happened. The president went...

Schieffer: You're saying that nobody in the administration said that.

Sec. Rumsfeld: I--I can't speak for nobody--everybody in the
administration and say nobody said that.

Schieffer: Vice president didn't say that? The...

Sec. Rumsfeld: Not--if--if you have any citations, I'd like to see 'em.

Friedman: We have one here. It says "some have argued that the
nu"--this is you speaking--"that the nuclear threat from Iraq is not
imminent, that Saddam is at least five to seven years away from having
nuclear weapons. I would not be so certain."

Sec. Rumsfeld: And--and...

Friedman: It was close to imminent.

Sec. Rumsfeld: Well, I've--I've tried to be precise, and I've tried to
be accurate. I'm s--suppose I've...

Friedman: "No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat
to the security of our people and the stability of the world and the
regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq."

Sec. Rumsfeld: Mm-hmm. It--my view of--of the situation was that he--he
had--we--we believe, the best intelligence that we had and other
countries had and that--that we believed and we still do not know--we
will know. David Kay said we're about 85 percent there. I don't know if
that's the right percentage. But the Iraqi Survey Group--we've got
1,200 people out there looking. It's a country the size of California.
He could have hidden his--enough chemical or biol--enough biological
weapons in that hole that--that we found Saddam Hussein in to kill tens
of thousands of people. So--so it's not as though we have certainty
today.

Full discussion: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/17/15138/5087