[FoRK] I hope no one here is still using Outlook!

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Sun Mar 21 01:16:01 PST 2004

"This new version of Bagle only requires a recipient to open the email
or view it within the Outlook preview frame..."

<http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2004/mft04031904.htm>

The Bagle Virus' Nasty Turn

By Alyce Lomax
March 19, 2004

Is the Internet becoming a little more hazardous? The Bagle virus took a
turn for the worse yesterday, with some variations now able to infect
PCs without any user intervention.

By user intervention, we mean opening attachments. Even the most casual
of home PC users now understand that it's dangerous to open strange
attachments they're not expecting, especially from strangers or,
sometimes, even from friends who have unknowingly sent a virus.

This new version of Bagle only requires a recipient to open the email or
view it within the Outlook preview frame, where some invisible HTML code
downloads and infects a PC through a known flaw in the Internet Explorer
browser. According to Dow Jones, there are several subject lines that
may herald the virus' arrival, including "E-Mail Warning" and "Fax
Message Received."

[...]