YAWE (was: [FoRK] It just doesn't get any clearer than this..)

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 09:18:55 PST 2004

Bush's defenders are so prolific in creating post hoc
explanations for the war in Iraq, that it is high time
to give these their own acronym: Yet Another War
Explanation. Here is Gregory Alan Bolcer's (latest)
YAWE:

>The intelligence goes like this.  In 1998 after the
>monitoring stopped, our intelligence agencies (all 17 or 18 of them) came
>to consensus that if Iraq were left to its own devices, then they would be
>able to develop all types of WMD including a nuclear bomb within the next
>10 years.   1998 + 4 is 40% of the way there.  The growing consensus in
>intelligence across all of these agencies was that
>the 9-11 attack would embolden other rogue groups and nations to jump like
>chimps on a gorilla and that a selective pre-emptive strategy would be
>prudent to keep from sinking into a deteriorating
>world security where terrorism was the norm.   Despite a few dissenting
>agencies, the consensus was running about 60% for dramatic action. ..

The neocons who are desparate to defend the war
in Iraq are making one of two mistakes. On the one
hand, it's in the past.  All their fretting and retrospective
hemming and hawing makes them look as if the act
itself has turned them into a bunch of indecisive
milquetoasts, like the accountant who commits murder
and then has no idea what to do about the body. The
deed has been done. The task now is to make the
most of it.

On the other hand, to the issue of Bush's duty and
honor, the ONLY explanation that matters is the
one he gave to Congress. Like all the other post hoc
YAWEs, Bolcer's departs from that in important ways.
Yes, other explanations are more accurate, more
legitimate, more truthful. That's precisely the point.

>I wanted you to see what real leadership is..

No President can exercise real leadership by misleading
Congress.