[FoRK] Re: Not so free speech

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 18:25:22 PST 2004

I'll admit that I have a poor understanding of how
McCain-Feingold restricts different kinds of political
organization. That said, I'm curious: How do people
like Rush Limbaugh avoid these restrictions? Don't
advertisers to his show pay quite large sums?

I'm guessing that the restrictions apply only to
non-profits, while businesses are unrestricted. If
so, why couldn't MoveOn (or similar organization)
organize itself as a business. It buys airtime, puts
on its short programs, paid for by people who
want these shows aired (just like a sponsored
art show), hopefully turning a profit. On its
website, it tries out different programs, and
collects promissory bids on which ones people
want aired. When enough customers bid on a
specific program, the bids are collected, and
the program gets produced and aired. It's a
somewhat different business model. But I can
imagine it would work for certain interest
areas.

Bottomline: if the political problem is not making
a profit, the business solution is to turn a
profit. Come to think of it, that's almost always
a good business solution. ;-)