[FoRK] Powell admission

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Sat Apr 3 11:13:47 PST 2004

Powell grows some balls.

You know, he's been a big disappointment to me.  I used to have a lot
of respect for him, and still would if he hadn't played toady over his
son's big career.  (That's my hypothesis, anyway, of the about-face he
did between Feb 1 and Feb 5, 2002.)

He could've been our first black President.  I'd vote for him.  It'll
never happen now, his rep is too besmirched.

At least he's stepping up to the plate now.

--

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/
world/middle_east/3596033.stm

  Powell admits Iraq evidence mistake

US Secretary of State Colin Powell has admitted that evidence he
submitted to the United Nations to justify war on Iraq may have been
wrong.

In February last year he told the UN Security Council that Iraq had
developed mobile laboratories for making biological weapons.

On Friday he conceded that information "appears not to be... that
solid".

The claim failed to persuade the Security Council to back the war, but
helped sway US public opinion.

Mr Powell said he hoped the commission appointed to investigate pre-war
intelligence on Iraq would examine whether the intelligence community
was justified in backing the claim.

Doubts

Doubts have been widely cast on the existence of the mobile labs, not
least by the former US chief weapons inspector in Iraq, David Kay, who
now says does not know whether Iraq ever had a mobile weapons
programme.

Now, if the sources fell apart we need to find out how we've gotten
ourselves in that position
Colin Powell

No evidence of weapons of mass destruction has emerged in Iraq since
the end of the war.

Mr Powell said the US intelligence officers "indicated to me" that the
information about the mobile labs was reliable, and "I made sure it was
multi-sourced".

"Now, if the sources fell apart we need to find out how we've gotten
ourselves in that position," he said.

"I have discussions with the CIA about it," he said, without providing
further details.

It is the first time Mr Powell has acknowledged key evidence he used to
make the case for war may have been wrong, says the BBC's Jannat Jalil
in Washington.

Previously, he has only said that he does not know if he would have
backed the invasion had he believed Iraq did not possess banned
weapons.

This admission by Mr Powell could further hurt the credibility of the
Bush administration in what is an election year, our correspondent
says.

Intelligence questioned

Mr Powell referred to several intelligence sources on the trailers
during his Security Council speech, but at least two have been
questioned in recent weeks.

News organisations have reported that US intelligence officials
considered one source unreliable even before Mr Powell's speech.

One of the most worrisome things that emerges from the thick
intelligence file we have on Iraq's biological weapons is the existence
of mobile production facilities
Colin Powell addressing the UN Security Council on 5 February 2003
The Los Angeles Times also alleged that another source had been widely
discredited and was never even interviewed by US officials.

Mr Powell's admission comes as the US's intelligence record is
scrutinised over the attacks on 11 September, 2001.

Mr Powell last month appeared before a commission looking into the
attacks, and denied that the Bush administration ignored the threat
from al-Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden.

He was questioned following allegations from ex-White House
counter-terrorism aide Richard Clarke that Mr Bush and his colleagues
were so preoccupied with launching a war on Iraq, that they missed the
growing threat from al-Qaeda.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/3596033.stm