[FoRK] Casualty of War: Victoria's Secret

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Mon Apr 12 06:29:28 PDT 2004

...casualty of the "culture war," that is.  Grrr....  What's next?
Abercrombie and Fitch sent up the river?

--

Found on Doc's blog; from the dirty-dirty-titty department:

Legalize free speech

   It's a shame that we're busy fighting for freedom and liberty abroad
while continuing to stifle [1] it at home. In The New Puritanism
Spreads, [2] Jeff Jarvis [3] reports that Victoria's Secret has
cancelled its TV show, [4] no doubt terrorized, literally, by the
prospect of Xtreme punishment for the showing of breasts and other
forms of "indecency" [5] as redefined by America's Taliban. [6] Sez
Jeff, America is undergoing a mass mastectomy.

[1]
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?
type=industryNews&storyID=4769486
[2] http://www.buzzmachine.com/archives/2004_04_12.html#006806
[3] http://buzzmachine.com/
[4]
http://www.nynewsday.com/entertainment/nyc-
vicsecret0412,0,5368343.story?coll=nyc-enthome-headlines
[5] http://www.fcc.gov/parents/content.html
[6] http://www.parentstv.org/ptc/fcc/indecency.asp

--

jb

---

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may
be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons
than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber barons cruelty may
sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those
who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they
do so with the approval of their own conscience.

	-C. S. Lewis