[FoRK] Casualty of War: Victoria's Secret

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Apr 12 06:54:59 PDT 2004

This is really terrible, but I note with some satisfaction that the
growth, prominance, and solidification of areas out of reach of the
'moral busybodies' has continued smoothly.  For a fee, you can get cable
TV, satellite TV, satellite radio, mostly unfettered Internet content
(which is rapidly becoming the only free uncensored media), erotic stuff
by mail, etc.

Compared to 20 to 40 years ago, this is a complete sea change and there
doesn't seem to be much that can be done about it.  You can view all of
the fanatic activity related to broadcast TV and radio as desperation
since, besides schoolbooks, it is just about the last areas exposed to
minority rule.

I note that if FM stations could broadcast digitally and there were
XM-like receivers that could only receive an encrypted station's
broadcast if they were a 'member' and if the stations charged just
$1/year, I believe they would be completely free from FCC control.
That's the HBO model, right?
We can build software-defined radios now, although making the transition
is the trick.

sdw