[FoRK] Rael on e-mail

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Tue Apr 13 14:33:08 PDT 2004

Noticed via Boingsters...  Rael gets it.  This is the way of the future
--- almost.  Back when I was using a Linux desktop rather than a Mac
--- and hence was using Evolution --- I was doing essentially this.  I
had a single archive of recent (i.e., current and previous quarter's
stuff) messages and some scripts set up to "churn" this stuff into
archive folders by quarter.  Then I had a bunch of Evo "virtual
folders" (think persistent queries / filters over messages) that
provided a topical folder-based view over the recent archive.  This
worked pretty well --- Evo's heavy indexing was fast as hell and
totally kicked ass.

I really think (and have maintained for some time) that static
taxonomies are a poor tool for navigating information spaces.  Heavy
indexing supporting search and filter is much better than navigation.
A static taxonomy is a better tool for getting an idea of the shape of
an information space than it is for actually organizing and using it.

--

	http://www.raelity.org/computers/internet/email/archive.html

A single archive of one's own #
| Mon 12 Apr 2004
I've spent an inordinate amount of time over the years acting as
librarian for my mail archive, manually sorting and sifting, carefully
categorizing, and lovingly tending my history in email. After spending
a little time with ZOE and thinking about the single archive
methodology in Gmail (don't sort, search), I'm starting an experiment
today where any mail to be kept for any reason I'll be dropping into a
single Archive folder and relying on full-text and
To/From/Subject-based searching rather than sifting through project-,
person-, or mailinglist-specific folders. I'll check back in and let
you know how I get on.