[FoRK] Rael on e-mail

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Tue Apr 13 15:32:02 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 15:06 -0700, Justin Mason wrote:

> Luis Villa writes:
> > On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 16:33 -0500, Contempt for Meatheads wrote:
> > >	http://www.raelity.org/computers/internet/email/archive.html
> > >
> > > A single archive of one's own #
> > > I've spent an inordinate amount of time over the years acting as
> > > librarian for my mail archive, manually sorting and sifting, carefully
> > > categorizing, and lovingly tending my history in email. After spending
> > > a little time with ZOE and thinking about the single archive
> > > methodology in Gmail (don't sort, search), I'm starting an experiment
> > > today where any mail to be kept for any reason I'll be dropping into a
> > > single Archive folder and relying on full-text and
> > > To/From/Subject-based searching rather than sifting through project-,
> > > person-, or mailinglist-specific folders. I'll check back in and let
> > > you know how I get on.
> >
> > I manage several gigs of mail and several K messages/day this way. No
> > problem. Evo (despite some flaws) really does rule this way.
>
> I'm still waiting for a mail client that transparently archives all past
> correspondence in order to build a correct thread tree, store
> correspondent history, allow searches into "deleted" mails, etc.
>
> I suggested this on the Evolution list 4 years ago [1], but I think they
> were too busy building Outlook-for-linux.

Heh. At that point in time, they were busily trying to get ready to save
the company, which for better or for worse did mean selling to
conservative corporations used to outlook.

Though, scrolling through your recommendations:

* threading has been around since at least when I started using evo
(oct-nov. 2000?)

* colorization since 2002? (I think evo 1.2, not sure.)

* no saved_as_context, but there are arbitrary labels you can apply to
the mails (each color is associated with such a label, so colorization
and the label are associated.) You can then vfolder on the label. So
easy enough to do that. I think also a 1.2 feature.

* no retitling.

* I think someone has done the email->todo for the upcoming evo 2.0,
though not sure.

Just FYI-
Luis