[FoRK] Rael on e-mail

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Apr 14 06:00:15 PDT 2004

Having nearly every message I've sent or received, including all of my
office voice mail and incoming faxes via Jfax/J2, has paid off big
several times.  Additionally, the cost of making realtime or historical
keep or purge decisions is more than the cost of storage and management,
so far.

I have a similar problem, which I do want to address, with my file
server.  I backup various older snapshots of file servers, web servers,
email, and data areas of all of my various machines and seldom have time
to thoroughly remove duplicate files, determine the newest, remove all
of the 'system boilerplate', so as a result I have nearly a terabyte of
data out of a 1.5 terabyte server.  There are something like 6 million
files on that server.

sdw