[FoRK] Redrum, redrum

J.Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Apr 15 00:06:44 PDT 2004

On Apr 14, 2004, at 10:48 PM, Contempt for Meatheads wrote:
> But then, I spent my first two vacations (including my first two
> wedding anniversaries) after Twin Peaks first aired vacationing at the
> Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie, Wash --- the restaurant in the inn is
> still my favorite restaurant on the planet, with the most carefully
> and considerately chosen wine list I've ever seen.

One of my favorite corners of the world, especially for eating, and
while I have not eaten at the specific restaurant mentioned above, the
Pacific Northwest has some of the very best restaurants in the US,
quality-wise, but without the pretentiousness (or the price) of
Manhattan, Chicago, or San Francisco.  Since Steph and I spend a
weekend up there a few times a year, I'll check out the Salish Lodge.
I just got from Seattle actually, to check out a couple more
restaurants in that region that were on our list (El Gaucho and a sushi
joint).  We frequently fly to where the food is for a long weekend --
I'm scheduled to review a couple of the new restaurants in Time Warner
Center in Manhattan (as forwarded by Rohit) in a couple weeks.

Ignoring the pop culture angle, if you like staying in places like the
Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie, WA:

On of our most favorite restaurants in the world is the Post Hotel in
Lake Louise, Alberta.  Low-key and unpretentious, top-notch original
food, and arguably the finest wine list we have seen *anywhere*.  And
after your dinner, you can select an excellent cigar and sip the very
best cognac by a dim fire while watching the aurora borealis shimmer
across of the glaciers.  A first-rate experience all around, and fairly
cheap as experiences of that caliber go.  The biggest downside is that
it is relatively remote, being a scenic two hour drive from Calgary.

We discovered it a number of years back while staying up in Banff
Springs (Lake Louise is a half-hour further into the mountains), but it
has remained one of our very favorite restaurants in the world.  A
great place to be if you want to disappear from civilization and relax
for a little while.

Oh yes, and they have a website:  http://www.posthotel.com

j. andrew rogers