[FoRK] It's a funnel...

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Thu Apr 15 19:29:56 PDT 2004

'I have just written the word “infinite.” I have not interpolated this
adjective out of rhetorical habit; I say that it is not illogical to
think that the world is infinite. Those who judge it to be limited
postulate that in remote places the corridors and stairways and hexagons
can conceivably come to an end — which is absurd. Those who imagine it
to be without limit forget that the possible number of books does have
such a limit. I venture to suggest this solution to the ancient problem:
//The Library is unlimited and cyclical/./ If an eternal traveler were
to cross it in any direction, after centuries he would see that the same
volumes were repeated in the same disorder (which, thus repeated, would
be an order: the Order). My solitude is gladdened by this elegant hope.'

-- from Borges's _Library of Babel_

http://www.analitica.com/bitblioteca/jjborges/library_babel.asp