[FoRK] Scientific Search Option, Vertical Search Engines

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Fri Apr 16 14:35:49 PDT 2004

That was our theory...ride the Apache module wave with
p2p extensions.

We were the only p2p product built completely on top
of Web standards.  I'm very familiar with the apache
and HTTP uptakes.  After seeing HTTP 1.0, HTTP 1.1, and
WebDAV uptakes, we thought we could ride that curve and
get the same with P2P and P2P protocols.  We presented
our stuff to Microsoft early on, but they chose their
own P2P initiative.  Also, a year before JXTA came out,
we offered to donate the P2P Apache extensions to Sun
(who incidentally thought we were years ahead of everyone
else they looked at), but got overvoted by Joy who wanted
to puruse his own proprietary protocol (which was
destined to have half a decade of adoption or fail).  Also,
Groove unfortunately outspent us by 100:1 and the Web vs.
Notes fight in the p2p space was history after that.

Greg