[FoRK] Physical limit on total amount of computation vs. Bostrom...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 28 12:03:57 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 05:15:46PM +0000, Russell Turpin wrote:

> This kind of result has an impact on
> Bostrom's argument that we likely live
> in a simulation by our descendants.

No. It has absolutely no impact about absurd lack of motivation to run random
runs. Unreal estate is always a scarce commodity in darwinian markets.

> Given a finite amount of future
> computation, computation remains a

Czech out the everything-list people for a terminal case of solipsism.

> scarce resource, and its use for this
> purpose might be limited. Maybe only
> those of us whom our descendants
> view as especially interesting get
> reborn this way. ;-)

Thanks god they apparently got over the FPS obsession. I'm still missing my +12
thinking cap, and +5 Amulet of Teleportation, though.