[FoRK] Physical limit on total amount of computation vs. Bostrom...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 28 12:13:04 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:38:27AM -0700, Gordon Mohr (PERSONAL) wrote:

> If I were to run conscious ancestors (or lab
> rats or recreational avatars or whatever) inside
> a simulation, and I wanted them to take their
> "universe" at face value, I might very well make
> its computational-capacity ceiling appear pretty
> low, to keep them in the dark as long as I'd
> like.

There's a tradeoff in simulation complexity and resources required. Running a
lattice gas or similiar CA on a random seed long enough for observers to
emerge spontaneously is one thing, constructing elaborate artificial reality
fakes is another entirely.

If one is to engage into pointless solipsisms, whatever is doing it is beyond
us as I'm beyond a virus crystal complexity-wise. Quite a bit more than that,
actually. Plus, their physics is completely different that what you're
soaking in.

Doesn't Ganesha and blood2wine transmutation suffice anymore, so people have to
invent synthetic IT deities? Jeez. If you absolutely need a god, you'd have
to implement her yourself.