[FoRK] Jrobb -> John smart on accelerating change / singularity economics

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Wed Apr 28 14:54:47 PDT 2004

Via Jrobb:

	http://jrobb.mindplex.org/2004/04/28.html#a4633

Very cool.  US News interviewed my friend John Smart who is the
President of the Institute of Accelerating Change (I helped to co-found
it).

People who think genetic engineering and biotechnology are going to
have accelerating affects on human and social complexity are also
entirely mistaken. Almost every single futurist I've talked to who
advocates this simply doesn't understand the massive limitations to
using our "top down" interventionist technologies on something as
intricate, interdependent, and "bottom up" developed as a biological
system.

BTW:  Here is a large presentation (PPT) on Singularity Economics (in
my view the slides are too busy for a good presentation, but they make
it more interesting if viewed as an outline).

	http://www.singularitywatch.com/presentations/SingEconomics4.04.ppt