[FoRK] Physical limit on total amount of computation vs. Bostrom...

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Thu Apr 29 09:13:35 PDT 2004

Random speculation:

We're eventually going to unify whatever GUT / QG we arrive at with a
similarly consolidated information theory / thermodynamics in such a
way that the ultimate GUT describes reality purely in terms of a
universal monotype:  information, informational structures /
distribution / density, information dynamics, etc.  The result is
roughly a reified computational hypothesis w/o (necessarily) any
simulation interpretation being required.

When we reach that point we're going to find that the observed Hubble
expansion isn't a global (universal) phenomena but a local one, a kind
of local "collapse" dynamic as a function of increasing local
information density.  I.e., information dynamics have a tangible and
real effect on the structure of the universe at a local scale, in much
the same way that the increasing mass density of a collapsing star
impacts its local spacetime leading to black holes and associated event
horizons.  The net effect is the same as described in the paper.

Another way to put it:  the galaxies aren't receding at a rate
proportional to their distance;  rather localized concentrations of
information (or informational derivatives --- call it local
displacement of entropy) cause a collapse in the nearby fine structure
of (what we perceive as) spacetime.  It's not the objects that are
themselves moving against the warp-and-weave of spacetime, rather the
warp-and-weave of spacetime is deforming, its grain and density
becoming less regular in response to changes in the distribution of
information and entropy.