[FoRK] A former conservative propagandist fights right-wing misinformation

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Mon May 3 09:16:43 PDT 2004

 From the war room:

	http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2004/05/03/mediamatters/

Watching the right-wing

David Brock continues doing penance for, as he says, being a former
conservative media insider who helped damage the democracy by spreading
misinformation masquerading as journalism. Brock has launched a Web
site called Media Matters,  [1] described as a "new Web-based,
not-for-profit progressive research and information center dedicated to
comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative
misinformation in the U.S. media." Brock first disavowed his past in
his 2002 book "Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an
Ex-Conservative."

A quick check of Media Matters today shows Brock and friends taking to
task [2] Linda Chavez, the conservative pundit and columnist who called
John Kerry a "communist apologist" in a column she wrote for the
Heritage Foundation's Townhall.com. Then Chavez appeared on Fox News,
and when pressed by an anchor who asked her if her words weren't just a
bit strong, Chavez lied. "Well, I didn't call him that actually," she
said. Expect many references to Fox News and Townhall.com, with a
healthy dose of WorldNetDaily.com, on Media Matters.

And we can't forget Rush. Media Matters has a whole report monitoring
Rush Limbaugh's commentary over the course of six recent weeks, called
"Meet the New Rush, Same as the Old Rush." Of the 77, um, questionable
comments Limbaugh made from March 15, 2004 to April 29, 2004, there's
this gem about participants in the March for Women's Lives: "Some of
these babes, I’m telling you, like the sexual harassment crowd. They’re
out there protesting what they actually wish would happen to them
sometimes." [4/26/04]

Media Matters' efforts will include a Radio Project, which will, among
other things, daily analyze Limbaugh’s show.

-- Geraldine Sealey

[07:02 PDT, May 3, 2004]

[1] http://www.mediamatters.org
[2] http://mediamatters.org/items/200405030008