shinkuro [was Re: [FoRK] Looking for Software Developer and Marketing Professional to Hire]

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Mon May 3 12:41:47 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:27 -0400, Jeffrey Kay wrote:
> No problem answering questions, regardless.  There's nothing to hide here
> really.  Novell's iFolder is a lot like Apple's iDisk -- central server to
> hold data files which are then synced to users as they connect.  We're more
> p2p than that -- the relays (shinkuro.com, for example) is a store and
> forward node, so it doesn't get to see any of the files or messages passing
> through.  You don't have to trust it much, really, since it can't read any
> of the data or even really know what it's sending (of course it can identify
> senders and recipients and the amount of data passing between them, but
> that's it really).

Ah- so more like iFolder3 than iFolder 2. ifolder 3 (source available
under GPL at ifolder.com) is totally p2p- no central server necessary at
all.

> In addition, the software includes IM, group conversation, direct file
> transfer between users, and screen sharing.  I've got more coming, stuff
> that's even more interesting than that set of functionality.  (Of course, if
> I could hire a developer or two to help me, I might be able to get some
> sleep in the process.)

Ah, interesting. iFolder is going the p2p way but not the
integrated-everything path, as far as I know. Good luck finding someone,
at any rate.

> The Linux build is for GTK.  It was all built using wxWidgets, with a few
> hundred ifdefs in the code for where wx doesn't quite fit the bill.

Interesting. wxWidgets seems to be picking up some steam.

Thanks for the information, and good luck-
Luis