[FoRK] Fwd: Next CAS seminar is Wed. 5/5 with Dr. Rohit (Decentralization != Distribution)

Rohit Khare rohit at ics.uci.edu
Mon May 3 13:01:08 PDT 2004

FYI...

                COLLABORATIVE ASSISTANT SYSTEMS
                ===============================

  DATE:     Wednesday May 5
  TIME:      2:00-3:00 pm
  PLACE:   N269, Room 179

  PRESENTERS: Dr. Rohit Khare

  TITLES:   Decentralization != Distribution

                A B S T R A C TS
                ===============
  For years, terms "distributed computing" and "decentralized computing"
have been
  treated as interchangeable. In my recent doctoral dissertation, I drew
a formal
  distinction between these two classes of systems, and showed how to
adapt existing
  client/server architectural styles to cope with this coming shift. In
short, how to
  transform the Web into a real-time, peer-to-peer infrastructure.

  Because it takes time and trust to establish agreement, traditional
consensus-based
  architectural styles cannot safely accommodate resources that change
faster than
  it takes to transmit notification of that change, nor resources that
must be shared
  across independent agencies. There are physical and logical limits
that make
  simultaneous agreement (a strong form of consensus for read/write
variables)
  expensive and ultimately, impossible. In practice, software architects
resolve this
  contradiction by assuming that network latency is negligible and that
computers
  operated by independent agencies are reliable two increasingly shaky
assumptions
  about integrating services across the Internet.

  Our approach to this challenge is architectural: proposing constraints
on the
  configuration of com­ponents and connectors that induce desired
properties of the
  whole application. Specifically, we present, implement, and evaluate
variations of
  the World Wide Web's Representational State Transfer (REST)
architectural style
  that are optimized for centralized, distributed, estimated, and
decentral­ized systems.

  Bio:
  Rohit Khare founded KnowNow in 2000 based on his doctoral research at
the
  Information and Computer Science department at the University of
California, Irvine,
  focusing on next-generation protocols for HTTP and proactive event
notification
  services with Prof. Richard N. Taylor.  Rohit's participation in
Internet standards
  development with world renowned technical teams at MCI's Internet
Architecture
  group and the World Wide Web Consortium  at the MIT Laboratory for
Computer
  Science, where he focused on security and eCommerce issues, led him to
found
  4K Associates as well as editing the World Wide Web Journal for
O'Reilly & Associates.
  Rohit received a B.S. in Economics and in Engineering and Applied
Science with
  honors from Caltech in 1995 and a Master's degree and Ph.D. in
Software Engineering
  from UC Irvine in 2000 and 2003, respectively.

  More information is also available at http://www.ics.uci.edu/~rohit/
  A preprint of the paper is available at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~rohit/ARRESTED-ICSE.pdf

  Lori S. Michetti