[FoRK] Why We Are Losing The War on Terrorism

Paul Sholtz paulsholtz2004 at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 09:16:31 PDT 2004

>>How exactly would propose fixing the intelligence system? (so as to win
>>the war on terrorism)?
>
>Not wanting to speak for John and his colleagues --- go read his blog and
>Global Guerillas and chase the links, it's truly fascinating stuff if
>you're into the topic, a very clueful network- and systems-centric view of
>the problem and possible ways to address it on various dimensions...  but
>one great start would be simply improving our acquisition capability by
>hiring more speakers of the languages in question.  A second start would be
>to reinvest in field intel.
>
>We need ears in the madrassas, for example.
>
>jb

The problem w/ the "intelligence agency" angle is that we don't really have
any genuine intelligence agencies in the U.S... at least, none that are
loyal to the U.S. Constitution and the principles upon which it was founded.
A 1996 Congressional inquiry found that the CIA commits over 100,000 crimes
annually just in the U.S. alone - all the more mind boggling when you
consider that they don't even have jurisdiction to be operating in the U.S.
in the first place (they're only supposed to spy on foreign countries, not
on Americans).

The CIA is very self serving, and to a first approximation their purpose in
life has more to do with spreading lies and disinformation to the American
public than with anything else. What genuine intelligence the U.S. has, it
gets from the NSA, not the CIA.

That said, all the intelligence agencies in the U.S. are supremely corrupt,
and - IMHO - not to be trusted. Some telling quotes from Ralph McGehee, a
gentleman who spent 25 years working for the CIA, include:

“The CIA is not now nor has it ever been a central intelligence agency. It
is the covert action arm of the President’s foreign policy advisers. In that
capacity it overthrows or supports foreign governments while reporting
‘intelligence’ justifying those activities. It shapes its intelligence, even
in such critical areas as Soviet nuclear weapons capability, to support
presidential policy."

“Disinformation is a large part of its covert action responsibility, and the
American people are the primary target of its lies.”

“I sat there in agony thinking about all that had led me to this private
hell. My idealism, my patriotism, my ambition, my plans to be a good
intelligence officer to help my country fight the communist scourge — what
in the hell had happened? Why did we have to bomb the people we were trying
to save? Why were we napalming young children? Why did the CIA, my employer
for 16 years, report lies instead of the truth?"

“I hated my part in the charade of murder and horror. My efforts were
contributing to the deaths, to the burning alive of children — especially
the children. The photographs of young Vietnamese children burned by napalm
destroyed me.”

Food for thought..
-  PS