[FoRK] Utterly ridiculous: Does Gmail breach wiretap laws?

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Tue May 4 12:10:43 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 15:03 -0400, Jeffrey Kay wrote:
> I agree -- some of this stuff is the stupidest I've seen in a long time.
> Did anyone check to see if Yahoo, MSN or Hotmail were providing context
> sensitive advertising with their services? They'd be dumb not to.
>
> The interesting question here is -- who's behind all of this?  Could this be
> the John Poindexter effect occurring for Google or is this really being
> instigated by those threatened by Google's plans of providing a gig of
> storage for e-mail?

This is really some privacy nuts who have gone over the top.

Brad Templeton of EFF has a fairly cool, reasonable analysis of this:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/gmail.html

His main worry is not the ads, but that current law + Gmail = email
hosted on gmail having no fourth amendment search/seizure protections.

Luis