[FoRK] 4-6G dual-core machines... recommended desktops?

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Tue May 4 19:15:16 PDT 2004

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1581842,00.asp

"Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC
feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of
RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired
port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs
three times faster than those on the market today."

Um, holy shit. As a Desktop Competitor, this frankly makes me worry less
about Longhorn- if every business is going to be asked to buy such a
beast for basic office functionality, Linux will score a lot of wins on
older hardware. Someone confirm my gut sense that this is a good thing
for Linux :)

Luis