[FoRK] Utterly ridiculous: Does Gmail breach wiretap laws?

Chris Olds colds at dydax.com
Tue May 4 19:38:06 PDT 2004

Why is there such a fuss about Gmail scanning email messages sent to their
subscribers?  Hotmail does it, and I assume that all of the other webmail
providers to too.  The only difference is that Hotmail is scanning to see
if the email looks like spam, and Gmail is trying to decide what ads to
show.

Hotmail is just as surely 'reading' my email as Gmail would.  Why isn't
that a big deal too?

I agree that any retention of information that allows tracking what ads a
user is shown would be pernicious, but since that would be Evil, I assume
Google will prevent that happening...

	/cco