[FoRK] Outsourcing fascism

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 12:58:13 PDT 2004

Lucas Gonze:
>I'm not sure the US version needs a new name.  How
>is it different from the long-standing Latin American pattern of jefe
>patriarchs and cronyism?

Very much so. In many of the kleptocracies to which
you refer, the laws themselves are quite reasonable.
The nefariousness occurs only in practice, perhaps
institutionalized, but not formalized and boasted.
In the US, when the drug companies want protection
from reimportation, they don't simply hire goons
simply to stop the stores and websites that
facilitate this. Instead, they get the desired
favoritism written into law, escorted by political
justifications, worked into regulatory bureaucracies,
and sometimes even propagated into international
treaties.