[FoRK] Michael Moore vs. the Bush Inc. subsidiary called DISNEY

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Thu May 6 10:12:12 PDT 2004

Apologies if this has hit here already and I've missed it;  am nearly a
day behind on FoRK catchup.

Whatever you think about Michael Moore (and I have a hefty standard
semantic filter just for him) --- this is just bad, bad, bad.

--

Wednesday, May 5th, 2004
Disney Has Blocked the Distribution of My New Film...

Friends,

I would have hoped by now that I would be able to put
my work out to the public without having to experience
the profound censorship obstacles I often seem to
encounter.

Yesterday I was told that Disney, the studio that owns
Miramax, has officially decided to prohibit our
producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film,
"Fahrenheit 9/11." The reason? According to today's
(May 5) New York Times, it might "endanger" millions
of dollars of tax breaks Disney receives from the
state of Florida because the film will "anger" the
Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush. The story is on page
one of the Times and you can read it here (Disney
Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush).

The whole story behind this (and other attempts) to
kill our movie will be told in more detail as the days
and weeks go on. For nearly a year, this struggle has
been a lesson in just how difficult it is in this
country to create a piece of art that might upset
those in charge (well, OK, sorry -- it WILL upset
them...big time. Did I mention it's a comedy?). All I
can say is, thank God for Harvey Weinstein and Miramax
who have stood by me during the entire production of
this movie.

There is much more to tell, but right now I am in the
lab working on the print to take to the Cannes Film
Festival next week (we have been chosen as one of the
18 films in competition). I will tell you this: Some
people may be afraid of this movie because of what it
will show. But there's nothing they can do about it
now because it's done, it's awesome, and if I have
anything to say about it, you'll see it this summer --
because, after all, it is a free country.

Yours,

Michael Moore
mmflint at aol.com
www.michaelmoore.com