[FoRK] Stanford Prison Experiment

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sat May 8 10:30:37 PDT 2004

At 11:59 AM 5/8/2004, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>content-class: urn:content-classes:message
>
>It definitely looks like there's going to be no heroes in this story and
>the worst is yet to come in the Iraqi prison scandal.   In one of
>Stanford's most famous studies, I think we can get a little more insight
>because the thing that's on everyone's mind isn't 'what' happened, but "why".
>
>Greg

www.prisonexp.org  what that experiment tells us, along with the Milgram
experiments, is that people easily succumb to the authority of science. In
the military, it's the authority of the command structure. It's supposed to
be that way.

The military has a special obligation to have put controls in place BEFORE
this happened if, indeed, they are so ashamed (but see below). These people
weren't trained in the Geneva conventions. There were no posters reminding
them about such things (See the Taguba report).

Further, it would help if you didn't have Rummy running around telling
everyone that the Geneva convention doesn't apply
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5840-2004May5.html>. Or a
Pentagon that would prefer to ignore Powell's warnings that they needed to
release non-combatants, etc and make sure no abuses were taking place,
something they've known for a year. Not to mention a presdinet that
preferred to lie to get us into a war that really wasn't about terrorism,
but strategic control of territory from which to establish a military base
or three.

Oh, and below are UK reports that they were involved in training MI on
torture and sexual humiliation tactics.

"The feeling among US soldiers I've spoken to in the last week is also that
'the gloves are off'. Many of them still think they are dealing with people
responsible for 9/11".

Also, more reports of Brit involvement in torture, below

UK forces taught torture methods

David Leigh
Saturday May 8, 2004
The Guardian

The sexual humiliation of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison was not an
invention of maverick guards, but part of a system of ill-treatment and
degradation used by special forces soldiers that is now being disseminated
among ordinary troops and contractors who do not know what they are doing,
according to British military sources.

The techniques devised in the system, called R2I - resistance to
interrogation - match the crude exploitation and abuse of prisoners at the
Abu Ghraib jail in Baghdad.

One former British special forces officer who returned last week from Iraq,
said: "It was clear from discussions with US private contractors in Iraq
that the prison guards were using R2I techniques, but they didn't know what
they were doing."

He said British and US military intelligence soldiers were trained in these
techniques, which were taught at the joint services interrogation centre in
Ashford, Kent, now transferred to the former US base at Chicksands.

"There is a reservoir of knowledge about these interrogation techniques
which is retained by former special forces soldiers who are being rehired
as private contractors in Iraq. Contractors are bringing in their old friends".

Using sexual jibes and degradation, along with stripping naked, is one of
the methods taught on both sides of the Atlantic under the slogan "prolong
the shock of capture", he said.

Female guards were used to taunt male prisoners sexually and at British
training sessions when female candidates were undergoing resistance
training they would be subject to lesbian jibes.

"Most people just laugh that off during mock training exercises, but the
whole experience is horrible. Two of my colleagues couldn't cope with the
training at the time. One walked out saying 'I've had enough', and the
other had a breakdown. It's exceedingly disturbing," said the former
Special Boat Squadron officer, who asked that his identity be withheld for
security reasons.

Many British and US special forces soldiers learn about the degradation
techniques because they are subjected to them to help them resist if
captured. They include soldiers from the SAS, SBS, most air pilots,
paratroopers and members of pathfinder platoons.

A number of commercial firms which have been supplying interrogators to the
US army in Iraq boast of hiring former US special forces soldiers, such as
Navy Seals.

"The crucial difference from Iraq is that frontline soldiers who are made
to experience R2I techniques themselves develop empathy. They realise the
suffering they are causing. But people who haven't undergone this don't
realise what they are doing to people. It's a shambles in Iraq".

The British former officer said the dissemination of R2I techniques inside
Iraq was all the more dangerous because of the general mood among American
troops.

"The feeling among US soldiers I've spoken to in the last week is also that
'the gloves are off'. Many of them still think they are dealing with people
responsible for 9/11".

<...>

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12956,1212199,00.html

Fresh Charges of Prisoner Abuse Hit UK Troops
Fri May 7, 2004 09:27 PM ET
By Astrid Zweynert

LONDON (Reuters) - British troops faced fresh accusations on Saturday that
they abused prisoners in Iraq, with one detainee saying he was viciously
beaten by laughing soldiers.

Separately, a newspaper said a fourth British soldier, attached to a
regiment already under a cloud, had came forward with charges of
ill-treatment, potentially drawing Washington's closest ally deeper into an
abuse scandal that has rocked the United States.

In a witness statement obtained by the Independent newspaper, Iraqi
engineer Kifah Talah said he suffered renal failure after he was beaten by
British soldiers over three days in September 2003.

His statement will be presented to the High Court in London next week as
part of a compensation claim against Britain by the families of Iraqis who
say their relatives were unlawfully killed by British troops.

"The soldiers would surround us and compete as to who could kick-box us the
furthest," Talah said in the statement quoted in Saturday's Independent.
"The idea was to try and make us crash into the wall. "The soldiers
appeared to be thoroughly enjoying themselves as the beating was
accompanied by loud laughter," Talah said.

One of the men arrested with him, hotel receptionist Baha Mousa, died of
his injuries, Talah said. His evidence has been corroborated by Mousa's
father Daoud Mousa, who says his son was tortured to death.
<...>
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=EVH2PLY5XXMVSCRBAE0CFFA?type=worldNews&storyID=5079332&pageNumber=1

'I was beaten for three days by British soldiers'
By Cahal Milmo

An Iraqi prisoner has described how he was allegedly subjected to vicious
beatings by laughing British soldiers during interrogation sessions which
left another man dead.

In a witness statement obtained by The Independent, Kifah Talah, 44, an
engineer, claims he was hooded and beaten about the neck, chest and
genitals by soldiers during three days before being made to dance in front
of his tormentors.
<...>
The engineer, who claims his injuries were so severe that he suffered renal
failure, said he and six other detainees were made to hold out their arms
horizontally and were beaten when they failed to do so for more than a few
minutes. He added: "One terrible game played involved kick-boxing. The
soldiers would surround us and compete as to who could kick-box one of us
furthest. The idea was to try and make us crash into the wall."

The statement, part of an action being brought on behalf of the families of
13 Iraqis allegedly killed by British troops, describes how the men were
covered with hoods, had freezing water poured over them and given inedible
spicy food.

Mr Talah, first interviewed by The Independent on Sunday, claims each of
the detainees was given the name of a famous footballer, such as Marco Van
Basten or Ruud Gullit, and they were beaten if they failed to remember it.
One soldier allegedly told them to "dance like Michael Jackson". Basa
Mousa, 26, a hotel receptionist, died of his injuries
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=519247

Trophy Photos

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=14221088%26method=full%26siteid=50143%26headline=pic%2dthat%2dproves%2dqlr%2dtook%2dphotos%2dof%2dbeaten%2diraqis-name_page.html

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=524352004