[FoRK] SoCAL Tech Endeavors

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Mon May 17 10:16:02 PDT 2004

Not quite a Wall Street Transcript interview, but a local
group....[2]

The AeA thing is we won best new High Tech Service/Utility
award for Orange County, the AeA's second biggest membership
area. [1]

Greg

[1]
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC%60%22wsId=20040513005047%60%22wsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view
[2] http://www.socaltech.com/story/0000551.html

Monday, May 17, 2004
Interview with Greg Bolcer, Endeavors
Greg Bolcer is the founder and CTO of Irvine-based Endeavors Technology
(www.endeavors.com) which develops application delivery software.
Endeavors was recently recognized for its innovative products and
technology by the Orange County AeA. I spoke to Greg about his company,
and the prospects for the Endeavors technology.

BK: What is Endeavors, and how is your software technology being used?

GB: Endeavors is an on demand application company. We take a very small
percentage of an application and stream it across a network to trick a
client machine into thinking an application is fully installed. For
example, Autocad 2005 is nearly 800Megabytes and takes tens of minutes
to install from a CD. A user on a broadband connection like DSL or Wifi
can download and transparently install a very small portion of the
application in under a few minutes. We use the technology for Trialware
and for on demand client delivery in an enterprise.

BK: Who are your typical customers, and why do they use your products?

GB: Typical customers are desktop software ISVs for trialware and large
engineering or pharmaceutical/bio-engineering organizations. Autodesk
and Discreet use our product because it gets the software in the hands
of the customer faster without significant barriers to trialing it
resulting in 6-10% increased software sales, 10-20% of software revenue
coming in faster than it would have, and an "on demand" gratification
resulting in 8-12% spillover sales for other products. Other benefits
include cost savings over traditional CD "mass mailings" and the ability
to more accurately target interested prospects based on up-to-the-second
usage statistics.

Small and Medium enterprise customers use the product to help maintain
control over software license provisioning, reduce the cost of software
distribution within an organization, and get better visibility into the
desktop application needs and requirements allowing better procurement.
It allows a CIO to turn a maintenance costly set of software assets into
a manageable, outsourceable software service through end-user
self-service to the applications they need without IT lag time or losing
control of licenses.

BK: I understand you are fairly involved in the WebDAV project--how is
this related to Endeavors?

GB: WebDAV is a great ubiquitous protocol for reading and writing data
across organizational boundaries because it bootstraps on top of HTTP.
We have our own implementation of WebDAV and provide customers the
ability to access desktop applications on demand as well as shared
corporate data. We have a WebDAV-based add-on to our application
delivery to manage this on demand data service.

BK: What is the history of Endeavors, and how did you decide to found
the company?

GB: Endeavors started out as a DARPA funded workflow project at the
University of California, Irvine. It was one of the largest non-Sun
Microsystems Java projects at the time. Over time the products have
evolved from a rigid workflow product to an IT friendly way to easily
manage and provision groups of people, applications and data across
network boundaries. After commercial interest from Sun Microsystems,
Deutsche Bank, Microsoft, PacBell, and Netscape, we felt we had the
people, products, and interest to be a highly successful company--and
the rest, as they say, has been interesting, challenging and rewarding.

BK: What are your channels to market for your AppExpress product?

GB: We have a small direct sales team for small and medium sized
businesses and ISVs for trialware and internal "insourcing" of on demand
app delivery in conjunction with our Microsoft Gold Partnership
opportunities. We work with our US telco partner and ISPs for the
software service.

BK: Are you finding much competition nowadays from alternative
technology in the enterprise space, i.e. server virtualization, terminal
services?

GB: Typically there's no substitute for desktop resident software. Even
thin client vendors are looking for more client-resident, on demand
performance. Putting desktop applications on a remote server has two
limitations that users don't like. First is the user experience which
includes everything from local and remote data, printing, and network
lag. Second is that on the IT side, depending on the app, you can fit
only 10-200 users per server, but with a decentralized on demand model
like appx, you can support several thousand to 10,000 per server with
the same level of central control and auditing.

The largest competition we have is companies attempting to convert all
their critical apps to be Web-based, but again, for the most commonly
purchased and used software on the desktop--it's either extremely cost
prohibitive to re-engineer or it doesn't run very gracefully in a browser.

BK: How did the purchase of Endeavors by Tadpole come about, and how has
that ownership affected how the company is run?

GB: Tadpole was Endeavors Technology's first customer. The then CEO of
Tadpole recognized the technology had value above and beyond what our
sister company was using it for. Being part of a publically traded
company on the London Stock exchange does two things: 1) it gives us
credibility with customers that we're not just a technology flash in the
pan, and 2) it gives us security of incremental funding as opposed to
other VC or angel-based companies who have to worry evey day where there
next meal is coming from.

BK: Finally, what's next for Endeavors and what do you think is the next
big step for the company?

GB: I'd like to expand our reference customers in the "software as a
service" space. I can easily see a day when a CIO no longer thinks of
their internal software as an asset or cost base, but a truly manageable
and out-sourceable service. We truly believe that enterprises have
embraced the "On Demand" paradigm for the server, we would like to bring
all that goodness to bear for the on demand client. We are accomplishing
this through our strategic partnerships and I'd like to see some of our
popular app library titles scale globally.

BK: Thanks!

posted on Monday, May 17, 2004