[FoRK] I hope he writes his memoirs when he gets out...

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Mon May 17 13:25:06 PDT 2004

Hi-larious.

Via Boingsters, from Lisa Rein:

	http://www.boingboing.net/2004/05/17/powell_forces_press_.html

Monday, May 17, 2004
Powell forces press aide to let him answer Meet the Press question
Colin Powell appeared on Meet the Press this weekend, and his
appearance was marred by his press secretary moving the camera and
attempting to end the interview early when Russert, the interviewer,
started to ask a hardball question about the fictional Nigerien
yellow-cake uranium that Powell used as an excuse to go to war in Iraq.

Most noteworthy about this event was that Powell, rebuked the
press-secretary on air, demanded that the camera be trained on him
again, and then answered the question, describing the intelligence he'd
received as "deliberately misleading."

Lisa Rein's got the video up -- highly recommended.
EMILY MILLER, STATE DEPARTMENT PRESS AIDE: You're off.

SECRETARY POWELL: I am not off.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: No. They can't use it, they're editing it.

SECRETARY POWELL: He's still asking the questions.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: He was not ...

SECRETARY POWELL: Tim, I am sorry I lost you.

MR. RUSSERT: I am right here Mr. Secretary. I would hope they would put
you back on camera. I don't know who did that.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: He was going to go for another five minutes.

SECRETARY POWELL: We've really scre...

MR. RUSSERT: I think that was one of your staff Mr. Secretary. I don't
think that's appropriate.

SECRETARY POWELL: Emily, get out of the way. Bring the camera back
please. (Camera returns to the interview subject) I think we're back on
Tim, go ahead with your last question.

	http://www.onlisareinsradar.com/archives/002135.php#002135