[FoRK] Or... 1 TB for free

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Wed May 19 06:18:30 PDT 2004

How long would it take to fill a terabyte with spam?
Owen

 > Google tests waters with terabyte e-mail limit
 > By Stephen Shankland
 > CNET News.com
 > May 18, 2004, 11:43 PM PT
 >
 > Google just escalated the e-mail storage arms race by a factor of 1,000.
 >
 > Several users of the search engine's Gmail Web-based e-mail service
noticed Tuesday that their storage limits had quietly been raised to 1
million megabytes, or 1 terabyte. That's four times the typical capacity
of a new high-end PC's hard drive.

 > The Gmail service still is in testing, and it wasn't immediately
clear how widely Google will offer the higher storage limit, under what
conditions, or to which users.

 > Google didn't respond for requests for comment late Tuesday.
 >
 > Detroit resident Rajiv Vyas, who has been using Gmail for about a
month, was wowed by the change. "It's great. Although I am not sure what
I will do will all this memory," he said. "In the long run, it would
help me store not only photos but every file on my desktop. This is 10
times more (storage space) than what I have on my office or home PC."

 > Others who spotted the change posted notices to Web logs and Web sites.
 >
 > Google triggered a rush to offer more storage space for Web-based
e-mail services with the April announcement of 1GB of capacity. The move
pressured the dominant Web-based e-mail service providers, Yahoo and
Microsoft's Hotmail, which currently charge subscribers $10 to $50 per
year for a much smaller amount of e-mail storage space.

 > Yahoo responded to Gmail with a plan for 100MB of space. In the
United Kingdom, Lycos is moving to offer 1GB for a fee. And the
Macintosh-focused competitor Spymac offers 1GB at no cost.

 > Gmail's liberal storage limits may be popular, but the service's
terms triggered privacy concerns because of Google's plan to scan the
content of e-mail messages in order to serve up targeted advertisements.