[FoRK] Or... 1 TB for free

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Wed May 19 12:14:08 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 21:06 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Speaking of indexing, I have some 20 CDs worth of HTMLized computer
> periodicals to index. What's a good search engine (preferably plain C, though
> some Java might be tolerable -- what's the name of the email indexing Java
> search engine thingy we were talking about earlier?).

Lucene.

> P.S. Do check out Fedora Core 2 (Tettnang), I'm running x86_64 on Athlon64 right now,
> and subpixel smoothing (for LCDs) is there at least). It's nowhere near Aqua
> country, of course, but it's making some steps to get there.

the subpixel stuff in X really hasn't changed (algorithmically) in about
18-24 months, so since before redhat 9. The biggest problem at this
point is (and has been for two years) the lack of decent fonts, not the
tech used to render the fonts.

> X performance still sucks, though.

Yeah. The acceleration infrastructure generally blows. Keith Packard is
working on it, though, which I imagine means it will also get fixed.

Luis