[FoRK] Or... 1 TB for free

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 19 12:57:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 03:14:08PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> the subpixel stuff in X really hasn't changed (algorithmically) in about
> 18-24 months, so since before redhat 9. The biggest problem at this

I haven't seen the option in RedHat 9, but then I wasn't exactly looking hard
(for lack of LCDs).

> point is (and has been for two years) the lack of decent fonts, not the
> tech used to render the fonts.

The Bitstream fonts in RH9 were a good start. I'd say currently the font
situation is tolerable, but the latency ans smearing problem makes the
system feel like a tub of molten lard in molasses.

> > X performance still sucks, though.
>
> Yeah. The acceleration infrastructure generally blows. Keith Packard is
> working on it, though, which I imagine means it will also get fixed.

That'd be real good. Stuff on http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5215 did
sound clueful. 2.6.x made things visibly better already, but there's still a
long way to go.