[FoRK] FORTH, not 1TB for free

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Wed May 19 17:57:14 PDT 2004

> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:07:54PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>
> > E.g. I remember a single floppy in '79 feeling about as roomy as
> > the average laptop disk (20GB or 40GB) now. In fact when I
>
> Did anyone play with FORTH screens on 720 k floppies? 68k FORTH at 7.1
> MHz
> was very usable, and it could compile as fast as a Quantum 120LPS could
> deliver.

+1.  FORTH rocked on many levels.  Too bad about Chuck, eh?

My favorite FORTH implementation from that era was GraFORTH --- an x86
version that had built in 3d Cartesian coordinates and transforms that
let you do, oh, several (12, maybe, IIRC?) FPS of color wireframe
animation on an old 4.77 first-off-the-line Compaq luggable.  Tres cool
for 1985, lemme tell ya!  I had some spiffy animated star maps /
ephemeris shit even back then that didn't see anything competitive
until the whole MacSPIN / Mac SE era.

FORTH.  Sigh.

jb