[FoRK] FORTH, not 1TB for free

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Wed May 19 18:35:28 PDT 2004

Contempt for Meatheads wrote:

>  My favorite FORTH implementation from that era was GraFORTH --- an
>  x86 version that had built in 3d Cartesian coordinates and transforms
>  that let you do, oh, several (12, maybe, IIRC?) FPS of color
>  wireframe animation on an old 4.77 first-off-the-line Compaq
>  luggable.

Which graphics card? I did my XT clone graphics hacking with
a Hercules card. Something like 720 x 348 pixels?* Actually,
the card itself was a Taiwanese clone of a Hercules card, I think.

Never got into FORTH. Got my RPN fill programming HP calcs.

- Joe

* = 80 columns x 43 1/2 rows with 8x8 characters.
Most of what I used it for was as a killer terminal emulator.
Very tricky code to get scrolling acceptably fast, given
the lack of hardware support.