[FoRK] FORTH, not 1TB for free

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed May 19 22:07:37 PDT 2004

Forth was cool.  I always felt that Postscript was the direct successor,
basically a cross between Lisp and Forth that created a Javascript-like
mid language.

I actually implemented the equivalent of scrolling text web pages with
forms with built-in scripting on a per-field basis by writing my own
language based on Postscript syntax with ported versions of Bison and
Flex used recursively with my own tokenized language, all written in C++
(Glockenspiel CFront + MS C) on DOS with 286 PCs.  Throw in preemptive
multitasking with 4 tasks on DOS with DDN TACs and an SMTP app on
mainframes.  All running in 512KB of ram with 2 360KB floppies and a
1200 baud modem.  Ahh, those were the days.  Written in a few months
with a friend while a $50K/day penalty to the corp. for being late was
hanging over us.

sdw