[FoRK] The White House's Week From Hell

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Fri May 21 08:08:49 PDT 2004

 From the war room, but not from Geraldine...  chock full o' linky
goodness at the bottom, but too lazy to tie 'em back.

	http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2004/05/21/hell/

White House's Week From Hell

A few more rocky news weeks like this and president Bush will be pining
for the good old days of say, February when his most pressing political
concern was trying to explain why he skipped a year's worth of National
Guard duty during the Vietnam War. Before we get to Friday's
must-reads, a quick look back at the White House's week from hell.

First and foremost was the continued meltdown in Iraq, which included
the assassination of Ezzedine Salim, head of the U.S.-appointed Iraqi
Governing Council, warnings from U.S. generals that Iraq might actually
turn more deadly following the June 30th transfer of power, and news
that the popularity of Iraqi outlawed cleric Moqtada al-Sadr has
surged. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz finally admitted,
sort of, that the Pentagon's neocons were clueless about war planning,
while the Baghdad office of their former INC point man, Ahmad Chalabi,
was trashed during a Thursday morning raid, lead by Iraqi police and
U.S. forces. And this Marine, Staff Sgt. Jimmy Massey, just back from
Iraq recounted how soldiers routinely 'lit up' unarmed Iraqi civilians.
That, while the administration's unique policy of complete
disengagement from the Middle East peace process lead to especially
gruesome results.

On the Abu Ghraib prison abuse front, the scandal this week broke more
ways than a Tim Wakefield knuckleball. Rather than fix the problem
early on, the Army tried to curb the Red Cross' access to prison, the
first of many court martial proceedings began, Reuters and NBC
journalists claimed they were abused by GI's in mind-numbing ways,
while Private Lynndie England recounted how prisoners were made to
crawl through broken glass and wear Maxi Pads. And oh yeah, Sgt. Samuel
Provance, who did intel work at Abu Ghraib, told ABC News that dozens
of soldiers were involved in the widespread prison abuse and that,
"There's definitely a cover-up."

More woes? Only the fact that if gasoline prices keep climbing at the
pump, British motorists, once jealous of cheap U.S. petrol, are going
to start feeling sorry for us.

Must-reads
The Washington Post reports Sen. John Kerry's fundraising efforts in
April raced past that of Bush's, with the Democrat pulling in nearly
twice as much as the incumbent. At the same time, Bush is spending at a
rate like no other candidate in history, already burning through $130
million.

CNNdetails House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelos's blistering critique of
Bush on Thursday. Highlights: "The emperor has no clothes. When are
people going to face the reality? Pull this curtain back. The situation
in Iraq and the reckless economic policies in the United States speak
to one issue for me, and that is the competence of our leader. These
policies are not working. But speaking specifically to Iraq, we have a
situation where -- without adequate evidence -- we put our young people
in harm's way. Instead of Iraq being a country that would readily pay
for its own reconstruction, we're up to over $200 billion in cost to
the American people." House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, is
demanding an apology.

Unable to stop a anti-tax cut revolt within its own party, the New York
Times reports the GOP shelved a planned budget vote until next month.
Centrist Republicans in the Senate---including John McCain of Arizona,
Olympia J. Snowe and Susan Collins, both of Maine, and Lincoln Chafee
of Rhode Island--want to attach a pay-as-you-go rule to the budget
resolution favored by Democrats but opposed by the House and the White
House. The rule is designed to offset the cost of the permanent tax
cuts.

As for Abu Ghraib, the meltdown continues unabated. The Washington Post
unveils the latest batch of abuse photos. The paper also details new
GI-induced mayhem: "Previously secret sworn statements by detainees at
the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq describe in raw detail abuse that goes
well beyond what has been made public, adding allegations of prisoners
being ridden like animals, sexually fondled by female soldiers and
forced to retrieve their food from toilets.

"Another detainee told military investigators that American soldiers
sodomized and beat him. The detainee, whose name is being withheld by
The Post because he is an alleged victim of a sexual assault, said he
was kept naked for five days when he first arrived at Abu Ghraib and
was forced to kneel for four hours with a hood over his head. He said
he was beaten so badly one day that the hood flew off his head. "The
police was telling me to crawl in Arabic, so I crawled on my stomach
and the police were spitting on me when I was crawling, and hitting me
on my back, my head and my feet," he said in his sworn statement."

Meanwhile, NBC reports the abuse may not have been confined to Abu
Ghraib, and that "U.S. military and intelligence officials familiar
with the situation tell NBC News the Army's elite Delta Force is now
the subject of a Pentagon inspector general investigation into abuse
against detainees. The target is a top-secret site near Baghdad's
airport. According to two top U.S. government sources, it is the scene
of the most egregious violations of the Geneva Conventions in all of
Iraq's prisons."

-- Eric Boehlert

[05:55 PDT, May 21, 2004]

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/404283|top|05-19-2004::12:
46|reuters.html
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/
FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1084907692167&p=1012571727085
http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?
section=Breaking&storyId=867597&tw=wn_wire_story
http://www.sacbee.com/content/opinion/story/9316830p-10241546c.html
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/8709386.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/19/politics/19ABUS.html?
ex=1085941111&ei=1&en=ae1f59e2d337c41e