[FoRK] Now with magic pixie dust!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri May 21 14:17:38 PDT 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 05:13:14PM -0400, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> On Friday 21 May 2004 05:01 pm, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > * can we parse this into a compact representation?
> > * so compact compression is not worth it?
> > * quickly, with hardware support? small/fast as FPGA?
> > * serialize into bytecode (or at least endedness-proofed, to be hauled over
> > wire) * can we translate XML into SEXP when binary, efficiently so?
> >
> > Maybe trivial, maybe not
>
> Yawn.
>
> There are a few (mostly optional) things in XML that make parsing non-trivial
> in the general (such as support for general entities/DTD's) but for plain 'ol
> WF XML, pretty trivial, even in hardware, especially with some of the newer
> tools for hacking FPGA.

I don't care about XML. I care about XML+SEXPR+hardware, in above context.
I'm also interested in whether XML carries *any* advantages over SEXPR in
that context.

I don't have a spare day to research that, unfortunately, so I'm figuring
any resident wizards can pull that out of their respective hats without even
firing up a spell, or two.