[FoRK] Now with magic pixie dust!

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Fri May 21 14:38:53 PDT 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 05:17 pm, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I don't care about XML. I care about XML+SEXPR+hardware, in above context.
> I'm also interested in whether XML carries *any* advantages over SEXPR in
> that context.

I think the answer, as always, is, "it depends". Most of the binary
representations of XML/s-expressions I have seen tend to be optimised for one
kind of application over another. At the end of the day, the *syntax*,
especially in machine communication scenarios, is largely irrelevant to the
"user" (vs. the programmer, and even then, in most cases it is, or should be,
irrelevant).

I've had a few debates over the years about "infoset", "binary xml", or "SOAP
vs. RPC", or "binary XML in SOAP", and in 99.9% of the cases, the discussion
devolved to discussing a standardised domain-specific API that abstracted the
syntax.