[FoRK] Cunningham on API surface area and productivity

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Fri May 21 20:37:09 PDT 2004

On May 21, 2004, at 3:30 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:

> <mood attitude=Beberg>
>
> Yeah, but API surface area protects entrenched
> products and supports entire industries who
> train and certify expertise in that surface area.
>
> </mood>

*chuckles*

Yeap, an API should be minimal, and anything else is just to keep the
Indian and CHinese coders at bay just a little longer. When I added
unicode and IPv6 a while back, I was able to _remove_ about 15
functions in the process. I'm still not happy about some of the
complexity.

But at the day job, we're all still trying to learn all the String
class methods in .NET, don't even get me started on the XML APIs.
Python/Perl/PHP on the other hand are vastly simpler, and thus far more
powerful and useful.

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/