[FoRK] Now with magic pixie dust!

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Fri May 21 22:38:34 PDT 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 10:35 pm, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> I think that an XPath based API is pretty general, with certain
> semantics.  You need to be able to get, set (create/replace), append,
> insert.  You need array indexing, array counting, iteration/enumeration,
> subtree operations (get, set, append, insert subtrees).

These are not necessary for a significant number of applications... for
example, rendering a page of data in a read-only scenario, or sucking in a
SOAP message doesn't really need much more than a stack and some SAX events
(bit of an oversimplification, but...). XPath as such is likewise overkill
(and overhead!) for many applications.

In many cases, these are also not only not necessary, but  irrelevant. Go one
or two levels higher in the application, and the XML can't (or shouldn't be)
seen.