[FoRK] Re: I think the word you're looking for is...

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Sat May 22 11:41:47 PDT 2004

GB says:

> Non-partisan means it's a political issue.

M-W has this to say:

Main Entry: non·par·ti·san
Pronunciation: 'nän-'pär-t&-z&n, -s&n
Function: adjective
: not partisan; especially : free from party affiliation, bias, or
designation

"Party" doesn't imply politics in a literal sense.  In fact, M-W
defines "party" (from which the word "nonpartisan" is derived) as:

Main Entry: 1par·ty
Pronunciation: 'pär-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural parties
Etymology: Middle English partie part, party, from Old French, from
partir to divide -- more at PART
1 : a person or group taking one side of a question, dispute, or contest

Note that that is the FIRST definition.  Only in the second and other
subsequent definitions does "politics" come into play.

Tell you what, Greg.  How would you like to review and edit all my
future FoRK posts before I post them, for inaccuracies of PoV, choice
of vocabulary, bias, or other thought crimes according to the Bolcer
Canon of Acceptable Rhetoric?  Would that help you avoid getting snitty
about my word choice and generally making an ass of yourself over such
trivialities as you taking exception to my choice of *a word*?

Uh huh.

TAKE THE DEAL, GREG.

jb